Saturday, August 1, 2009

Four stars

Sometimes I think the way critics review movies is kinda dumb. I mean just because somebody likes a movie doesn't mean that somebody else is going to like it. For some people "Transformers 2" was the best movie out this summer. For others, it was some artsy Russian movie that no one's ever heard of. I wish when people reviewed movies they wouldn't say, "this movie sucked" or "this movie is the best thing since sliced bread." I think they should say "I thought this movie sucked" or "I loved this movie so much I want to take it behind a middle school and get it pregnant." That's why I like Rotten Tomatoes and Meta Critic. What's my point... I'm not sure but, let me say this. I loved "500 Days of Summer."


My lovely wife and I almost caught this movie at Sundance this year... but the stars didn't align and we didn't get to see this movie, "Paper Heart," or"Afghan Star." It's a long story. But now I know we should have tried harder to see "500 Days of Summer." And probably those other movies too, because they look good. Anywhoo. For those of you who aren't familiar with this movie, it tells the story of the relationship between the two people in the picture above. I don't want to give much more away than that... but it's one of the most realistic portrayals of dating and looking for love I've seen on the big screen. There are some TV shows that have portrayed it very well... cough "Freaks and Geeks" cough. But that's for another post that I'll probably never get to. While watching this movie I found myself reliving many joyful and painful experiences from earlier in my life.. This movie is hilarious, heart breaking, sincere, thought provoking, and just all around well worth your eight hard earned dollars. Just don't expect your typical romantic comedy. This movie is anything but cookie cutter. So if you get the chance check it out. You won't regret it... Unless you don't like this type of movie.... because, remember I liked this movie.

PS. I didn't love this movie just because it starred the beautiful Zooey Deschanel (although that didn't hurt). I think it's funny that people always seem to think that I love shows like "Buffy" or "Dollhouse" or "Veronica Mars" because they have attractive women... I love them because they are very well written, acted, and directed. So there. :-P

5 comments:

Nemesis said...

I give it 4 stars too. It was clever and inventive and sweet and sad and all good things. Plus they go on an IKEA date. Which is awesome.

Calvin Smooth said...

I will go to see this now. But actually not in the theaters unless it is a date. Booyah

Nells-Bells said...

we have been PATIENTLY waiting for this to come to logan. found out it will FINALLY be here on friday and showing at the art cinema. sarah and i are already planning to see it. SO excited!!

Jillian said...

I FINALLY saw this movie on Tuesday. LOVE it. Will definitely buy it. When Tom dances the morning after? Now that's comedy!

Miskatonic said...

Interesting opinion. I'm not sure I completely agree. I think that many movies are factually good or undeniably bad (the first Transformers was undeniably bad). I think it shows great maturity when someone admits to enjoying a bad movie, or hating a good movie. It's not a matter of good or bad so much as it is commensurate with the person and their state of being when viewing the movie.

But, movie reviewer's job is not necessarily to remove their own bias. They can report on how much they enjoyed a movie. In fact, I find it very helpful to become well aware of certain reviewers' tastes. Then I can compare their reaction to previous reactions and then compare it to my tastes. Sometimes ˆ can tell that I'll like a movie when a certain reviewer has hated it.